Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Another way to remember

Yesterday we lost our Mamaw (Corey's maternal grandmother). It was quicker than any of us expected, but I think that is probably a good thing. Mamaw to us and Gigi to the kids was an awesome lady. Her house was always a place you could be sure to get a good meal and a rest from the world-it is by far the best place to sleep I've ever been. Mamaw wasn't able to do as much as she would've liked to the last few years, but she always kept up with her family. She loved hearing about the kids and Debbie always made sure that she knew when we updated our blog. So she would have been thrilled to hear that Libby is reading books to herself now-mostly ones she has memorized-especially since Mamaw was a teacher and an avid reader herself. She also would have been excited to hear about Joe trying food and almost rolling over.


I am so glad I got as many years with her as I did-I'm glad she got to be a part of our kids' lives (she was the first nonparent to hold Libby in the hospital.) I will miss her - her stories and her laugh-her constant inquiry as to whether or not we were hungry. I will miss her beautiful PJ's and her sharp wit. But we will remember her with pictures and stories, by the cardinals she loved and the meatballs Corey makes by her recipe. But we will still miss her so much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful eulogy to remember Gigi. Even though I only knew of her through Becky, you brought tears to my eyes.

Baxter Family said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Many hugs of comfort, Jackie

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I just lost my Nanna last month, and even at 96 years it was still a shock, if that makes sense. Praying for you guys during this time.
Beth Chase